Monday, May 03, 2010

Last Minute DIY Mother's Day Gift: Don't Worry. I promise it's not a lame coupon book!

Need a last minute Mother's Day gift that DOESN'T involve making her a lame coupon book for hugs and car washes? Try making an amazing homemade sugar scrub with things you've already got in your kitchen! You will need:

Brown and/or white granulated sugar
Olive Oil
Honey
Essential Oils or Cooking Extracts
Air tight Containers- mine were 25 cents at the thrift shop.
You'll also need tags and ribbons to label them when you are finished.



There are plenty of exact recipes out there, but I just eyeballed it. The idea is to create a mixture that resembles coarse sand. Add olive oil to your sugar mixture first,

Then honey for an added skin softener.

Mix untill you have what looks like coarse, damp sand.

Then add a few drops of the fragrance of your choice. If you don't have essential oils on hand, you could try some of the extracts form your cupboards. Lemon, orange, vanilla and almond would all be lovely.


I used three to four drops each of lavender and tea tree essential oils from this incredible rainbow collection my husband surprised me with. I love having so many scents to play with.

A bit of label making...

These were gift ready, but I thought they still needed a little something...

So I added some satin ribbon and a few little paper millinery flowers. Now you'd never guess they didn't come from some fancy pants store.

Also, I tested these scrubs on myself- I was totally thrilled! The sugar gave a wonderful massaging exfoliation, and the honey and olive oil left my skin moisturized and soft. I'll definitely be keeping a batch handy in my shower.

1 comment:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I would really like to make some of these for my bath. I love nice things in my bathroom and use a lot of bath salts. Thanks for the links!♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...